On November 22, 1919, A meeting was called to organize a branch of the State Archaeological and Historical Society in Winnebago County. Clarence T. Olen, Charles Koehn, Ralph Buckstaff, Nile Behncke, and Arthur Kannenberg met and formed the Winnebago Archaeological and Historical Society. In its early days, the society was a major proponent in marking and preserving historical sites in the county. The society also helped establish the Oshkosh Public Museum. Today, the organization is now known as the Winnebago County Historical & Archaeological Society and maintains a strong presence in historical preservation in Winnebago County, Wisconsin. We are located at 234 Church Avenue in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in the former residence of John R. Morgan–founder of the Morgan Company. The Morgan House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and is a house museum consistent with 1880s furnishings and fine art.
Read through our historic Meeting Minutes from 1919-1931